Wireless spectrum is expensive, yet without a sufficient supply, new technologies such as LTE and 5G cannot be deployed. In many cases, as customers adopt newer technologies and networks are upgraded, the older networks still exist but often become under-utilized. This means it is feasible to refarm spectrum from older networks without degrading their performance. The newly released spectrum can then be allocated to the new network, which costs significantly less than buying new spectrum at auction. But freeing up unused spectrum is not as simple as it sounds.
Operators don’t typically have the frequency planning specialists required to undertake a refarming project. Over the past three years, TEOCO’s dedicated team of experts have had a 100% success rate across more than 50 projects; refarming spectrum while also often improving the performance of carriers’ legacy networks.
- MAXIMIZE SPECTRUM ROI
- By releasing under-utilized spectrum from the 2G network and deploying it on LTE or 5G, a significantly higher return on investment can be realized from that spectrum.
- Our network measurement-based approach to spectrum refarming is proven to deliver more accurate results than a planning tool, prediction-based approach.
- TRACK RECORD OF SUCCESS
- Our dedicated team of experts has a 100% success record across more than 50 projects in the last 3 years, refarming spectrum while also often improving the performance of the legacy network.
- MINIMIZE RISKS
- To ensure success, we take responsibility for all refarming activities – from network preparation and measurement collection, to implementation and post-implementation tuning and verification.
- BEST PRACTICES
- Global multi-vendor experience ensures we are able to share best practices from market leaders, while our offshore capabilities provide cost-efficient and timely deliveries.
- GLOBAL REACH, LOCAL SUPPORT
- With a local presence through 26 offices in 15 countries in all regions of the world, and a customer base that includes over 300 operators, TEOCO has the scale, expertise and local staff to support you.
Our Spectrum Refarming Approach
Our robust, multi-vendor, measurement-based methodology is delivered by specialists and underpinned by state-of-the-art tools designed to maximize network performance. At the heart of our spectrum refarming solution is Forte, TEOCO’s powerful, vendor independent, 2G optimization tool that provides KPI-based evaluations. We deliver future-proof plans by incorporating network growth predictions into the design.
To maximize the effectiveness of any spectrum refarming project it is important to consider multiple elements beyond just re-planning the frequency. Activities such as assessing current network capacity and managing how network traffic will be served are equally important in delivering optimum performance. We have extensive experience managing not only the technical, but also the logistical, challenges around spectrum refarming.
Our approach automates data collection, parsing, analysis, and implementation script creation, and delivers accurate network modeling and advanced simulation. At TEOCO, we have the expertise and capacity needed to consistently deliver excellent results, reducing the usual risks associated with refarming. By taking responsibility for the complete process across all vendors, we are able to closely monitor and manage every activity; from preparing the network and collecting measurements, to implementation and post-implementation parameter tuning and verification, we go the extra mile to ensure success.
What Our Clients Say
“Our experience working with TEOCO and using its optimization solutions has always been positive. TEOCO’s solutions offer the ideal blend of tools, expertise and scalability that meet Telefonica’s objectives for the delivery of an end-to-end solution ensuring minimum impact on network performance and user experience.”
– José Manuel Alvarez Díaz, Engineering and Optimization Manager at Telefonica’s Global CTO Unit.
How can we help?
For over 25 years, TEOCO has helped network operators run state-of-the-art networks and profitable businesses. Learn how we can help you in the areas critical to the success of modern CSPs.